NOTE: Advanced annotations is a beta feature and is not production ready.
The Editing panel and annotation tools are used to highlight specific areas, add notes or symbols, or annotate sections of a picture. Both agents and guests can use annotations; however, the agent selects the annotation option available for the guest.
In this article, you will learn about:
- Enabling advanced annotations
- Using the photo editing and annotation tools
- Editing panel and annotation tools
For more information about advanced annotations, refer to these articles:
- Editing pictures in the Preview gallery menu
- Annotating pictures during and after a session
- Selecting annotation options for a guest during a session
Enabling advanced annotations
When advanced annotations are not available, only the basic annotation features are available. See Annotate a photo or paused video article for more information.
If advanced annotations are not available, you can contact your SightCall admin to enable this feature in the use case or scenario you are using. Refer to Enabling Photo Annotations in SightCall.
Using the photo editing and annotation tools
The Editing palette is available during a session when you have taken an image from the video feed or if you choose to edit an image from the Picture gallery menu.
TIP: Refer to Annotating pictures during and after a session for instructions on how to access the annotation tools.
Each Editing palette option is explained later in this article.
Placing an annotation
All of the editing tools use a click-and-drag method. In other words, you select the options you want first and then mark the image.
To place an annotation:
- Pause the video feed or take a picture using Take Snapshot.
- Select Drawing On to access the Editing palette.
- Select the tool and options you wish to use.
- Click on the picture to set the location or center point.
- While still holding down the mouse button:
- Move the cursor up or down to set the angle of the tool
- Move the cursor away or towards the center point to change the thickness or size
- Release the mouse button to set the annotation.
In the example screenshot, the Shape tool is selected with a green circle.
The initial click on the picture sets the location or center point for the annotation.
Dragging out scales up the tool and increases line thickness or size of the annotation.
Moving the cursor in makes the annotation smaller.
Once you release the mouse after positioning and sizing the annotation, you cannot change the annotation. You can only select, move, or delete an annotation.
Editing panel and annotation tools
The Editing panel contains five icons that have subsets of annotation tools:
- Freehand provides tools you can use to draw or mark key features.
- Shape provides predefined shapes.
- Text Area provides an arrow and text box like a callout that can be used to add text.
- Animations provides animated icons like a screwdriver that you can use to show actions, such as rotating left or right.
- Symbols (Emojis) provides smiley faces, warning icons, and others. Contact SightCall to customize the symbols.
If the Editing panel is accessed during a session, then there are two toggles on the panel:
- The Pointers–Annotations toggle, which changes between the Live Pointer and Annotations
- The Me–Guest toggle, which determines if you are selecting annotations for the agent (Me), or the guest (Guest)
The Freehand palette lets you draw a freeform line on a picture you are editing. You can change the color of the line by selecting a color option from the color bar at the bottom. The Freehand icon changes to show the selected color.
The Shape palette lets you select a shape and colors. You can change the color of the selected tool by selecting the tool and then a color from the color bar at the bottom.
The Text Area tool provides an arrow with a text box, rather like a callout, that you can use to add a note to an image.
To use this tool when using photo annotations:
- Select the Text Area tool.
- Select the color.
- Place the annotation on the picture.
- Select the text size: Small, Medium, or Large.
- Enter the text you wish to add to the image and select the Send icon to place the text.
Animations let you place an icon on the image that rotates. You can select the image rotation using the clockwise and counter-clockwise icons on the right above the color bar.
Let's say that you want to highlight a screw that needs to be adjusted. You can select the screwdriver icon and then the rotation direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise). When you place the icon on the picture, the screwdriver animation will rotate in the selected direction.
The Symbol tools lets you add symbols or emojis to a picture. You can not change the color of a symbol.