SightCall for Outlook simplifies scheduling and adding SightCall session links to Microsoft Outlook calendar events. Using this add-in, you can:
- Create a new event and add a SightCall session link and/or a QR (quick response) code
- Enable a waiting room for the scheduled SightCall session (customizable with templates)
- Add a SightCall session link to an existing event
Contact your SightCall representative to add templates and QR code capabilities.
NOTE: This feature is available in the SightCall Enterprise and Premium Editions.
Options and Create Appointment
The SightCall for Outlook add-in has two options for events or meetings, Options and Create Appointment.
- Options opens the SightCall Options side panel so you can add a waiting room, a reference number, or select a Use Case.
- Create Appointment inserts a SightCall Appointment link into the event email using the date and time from the calendar invite. The Waiting Room option is also available if it is enabled.
To access these features:
- On Microsoft Windows, the new SightCall menu appears in the More options (…) menu on any calendar event window or in the Appointment ribbon.
- On macOS, then either two new icons in the ribbon on a calendar event window or a SightCall menu is added to the More options (…) menu. The feature location depends on whether the agent has opted into the New Outlook option.
- Office 365 Outlook Web places the SightCall options in the More options (...) menu.
The Waiting Room
You can enable a waiting room for SightCall by selecting Enable Waiting Room checkbox when you create an appointment. The waiting room creates a web page, unique for every session, that the guest and agent (host) see until both parties are in the session. The look-and-feel of the waiting room can be controlled by templates.
Waiting room templates
Templates let you customize the look and feel of the guest's and the agent's waiting room. You can have one or more templates associated with your SightCall tenant. One template controls the look and feel of the agent and the guest waiting rooms.
If templates are available, you can select them from the Templates drop-down box when scheduling an appointment.
Note: Contact your SightCall representative for information on waiting room templates.
Agent waiting room
If configured, the agent sees a waiting room page similar to the guest's when they select the Agent Link from the Outlook event.
Guest waiting room
When the guest selects the SightCall Appointment link, they see the waiting room page with information about the support session. Selecting the green Enter Session notifies the agent that the guest is ready to start.
The message on the waiting room asks for the guest to wait for the host (agent) to join the session.
Once the agent joins, then the guest can join the session.
Accessing SightCall for Outlook for the first time
The first time you open the SightCall for Outlook add-in, the add-in will attempt to log you into your SightCall account. This happens in the background when you see the spinner icon. When successful, your name appears in the SightCall Options panel.
You may be prompted to enter your SightCall agent console (console.sightcall.com) credentials.
Scheduling a SightCall session
When you schedule a SightCall session in Microsoft Outlook, the customer receives a SightCall Appointment link in the calendar event. The appointment link can be a text link, a QR code, or both.
QR codes in appointments
SightCall appointments can include a link and/or a QR code. A quick response (QR) code provides a matrix barcode readable by mobile device cameras. QR codes contain information about a product and can also point to a website or application.
QR codes are convenient for customers who are using smart wearable devices like RealWear HMTs. A person wearing a HMT can use the device's camera to read the the QR code to start the session.
NOTE: Contact your SightCall representative to enable QR codes in your tenant.
You have three options for how links are generated: text link only, QR code only, or both text and QR code. Your SightCall representative can set which option is available for you.
|Appointment link||What appears in appointment|
|Text link only||
|QR code only|
|QR code and text link|
Scheduling an appointment
To schedule a new session and add a link to the calendar description field:
- Open Microsoft Outlook and create a new calendar event.
- Add the guest to the To: field.
- Select Options in the SightCall ribbon or in the More options (…) menu to open the panel.
- Enter or update the time and date for the visual support session. The time and date are also updated in the Options.
- Select a Use case from the drop-down box. This option is only available when more than one use case has been defined in a tenant.
- Optional: If available, select Enable Waiting Room to add a web page that will appear to the guest when waiting for a session to start (see section above).
- Optional: If available, select a Template from the drop-down box.
- Select Generate link to insert a SightCall Appointment identification into the Location field and a SightCall Appointment Link and/or QR code into the body of the event invitation.
- Do NOT remove the SightCall Appointment identification from the Location field. This ID associates the calendar event with the appointment in SightCall.
- Select Send to invite the guest to the session.
Joining a scheduled SightCall session
When joining the scheduled SightCall session, use the Agent Link in the Options panel in the calendar event.
To join a session as an agent:
- Sign in to the agent console (console.sightcall.com).
- Open the calendar event in Microsoft Outlook.
- Open the SightCall Options panel.
- Select Agent Link to join the session.
NOTE: Only guests use the SightCall Appointment link.
Updating an event
Any time you update an event with a SightCall Appointment link, the updates are synchronized with the SightCall platform.
To update an event:
- Open the event in the calendar. If the SightCall for Outlook Options panel does not appear, select Options in the event ribbon.
- Update the event. Any updates to the date and time are automatically reflected on the SightCall panel. Changes to the use case selection are also updated.
- Select Update on the SightCall Options. The event details will update on the SightCall platform.